Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Barrett-Jackson: Seasonal Photo Processor

Job number one on my list: a "seasonal photo processor" position with the epic and renowned Barrett-Jackson.






A bit about them:
Barrett-Jackson Auction Company has grown from a quaint car auction to one of the premier automotive and luxury lifestyle events in the world-a spectacular array of automobiles, fashion, fine art, jewelry, antiques, cuisine, automotive collectibles and much more. Barrett-Jackson has become an international social event that has defined a level of excellence far beyond anyone's expectations. We're seeking professionals who would like to be part of the excitement and growth of the Barrett-Jackson organization.


A bit about the job:

We are looking for a dynamic self motivated person who is capable of working on a fast pace non-stop photo desk assisting contributing photographers and high profile clients with all aspects of digital photography upload and request. Applicants must be able to communicate effectively and efficiently with photographers and clients, facilitate assignments, manage workflow, research information and manage a constantly developing diary.

Responsibilities:
* Upload new photographs from contributing photographers and correct captioning
* Provide support for contributing photographers on uploading content
* Edit photos to ensure high quality product is available to clients
* Facilitate calls from clients requesting content and research best solutions to administer
* Coordinate research on new/breaking content and facilitate routing of assignments that are administered by the editors
* Troubleshoot technical issues with contributing photographer uploads or upload capability

Skills / Requirements

The ideal candidate must possess:
* Minimum of two years of experience in a media environment
* Digital photography background is helpful, but not required
* Technology experience
* Ability to manage high volume, detail oriented process flow
* Skills in building and sustaining trusted relationships. Ability to understand varying needs and anticipating solutions
* Customer-service orientation toward client satisfaction
* Strong written and verbal communication skills
* Ability and willingness to work long, varied hours
Why I want to work there
Duh. Obviously. I love cars! I love photography! What could possibly go wrong with any combination of the two?

Seriously though. I've been managing an image workflow of 100,000+ images a year for the last three years, split 70/30 between work and personal photography. I worked for a newspaper where I learned captioning and timeliness are both key. I communicate well with everyone and I value relationships as opposed to one-off sales. As illustrated by my multiple blogs and websites, I write well (though in the past I have been reluctant to admit it). I'm a college student, so I'm used to long and varied working hours.

This position was pretty much tailor-made for me.

So here's What I did about it
Step 1: Apply
Barrett-Jackson has their own custom job application process. The opening went live on the website on 11/29. I discovered it on 12/11 (thanks to my lovely girlfriend, Kristen) and applied. This involved re-formatting my resume to fit their wonky website application deal, and writing a short cover letter.

The resume reformatting took me nearly an hour. I don't know why they have everyone do this, other than perhaps to take away any advantage people might have by being organized and knowing how to format a resume to showcase their abilities. I think it's silly, but I went along with it.



The cover letter took me much less time. I wasn't given much room for it, so I didn't say a whole bunch. Naturally, their online system experiences enough bugs that I cannot go back and find the cover letter after the fact. I just have to hope their hiring people can find it.



Step 2: Social Networking
I wrote this blog post.
I liked Barrett-Jackson on Facebook
I tweeted about my application

Step 3: Wait
Now I'll wait to hear back from them. If I don't hear something inside a week, I'll drop them an email and a phone call so I can "make sure my application go through." In reality, I'm just using it as another excuse, like the tweet above, to ensure they know I exist.



So. There you have it. Job #1.

No comments:

Post a Comment